The MRWA builds and maintains a singletrack trail system for mountain biking, trail running, hiking and snowshoeing in the Watershed.
A network of sustainable singletrack trails which enhances stewardship of the Watershed, preserves integrity of the Watershed’s natural values, and provides benefits for nonmotorized trail users, the community, and visitors.
- Environmental stewardship of the watershed
- High-quality, sustainable trails that provide memorable experiences for residents and visitors
- Respect for First Nations traditional territory and land uses
- Respect and understanding between diverse nonmotorized trail users
- Partnerships and collaboration with land owners, other associations, and businesses
- Benefits for residents of adjacent communities, greater Halifax, and visitors.
Planning and day-to-day decisions for singletrack trails are made by the MRWA Trails Committee. All volunteer trailbuilding occurs under supervision of a MRWA Builder, and to standards of Whistler Trail Guidelines , the International Mountain Bike Association, and NS-DNR trail and bridge standards, depending on the landowner.
Trails are approved under land use agreements with the landowners — the city of Halifax and provincial Crown land managed by NS-DNR. You can review the planning and consultation process that got us to this point.
What can YOU do?
Are you a business or organization? Contact us for Trail Adoption and promotion opportunities! MRWA also leads special volunteer trail days for organizations and businesses which are excellent team-building exercises. Let’s get outside!