Older Updates and Events
Older Updates and Events
Below are summaries of events which were recorded on a previous version of MRWA’s website.
- Oct 2012 – MRWA has contracted TrailFlow Outdoor Adventures to develop a Concept Plan for a human-powered single-track trail system on the HRM and DNR lands in the McIntosh Run watershed between Spryfield and Herring Cove. Ryan and Michelle of TrailFlow, based in Wolfville, have spent a month analyzing maps and exploring the area on foot, and we are really excited to see this coming together! Their training and experience in trail development are a huge asset to this longtime goal of a trail from Spryfield to Herring Cove. This has been made possible with a recreational facility planning grant from the NS Department of Health and Wellness for 50% of the cost.
- We are now on Facebook: facebook.com/McIntoshRunWatershedAssociation; you are invited to “Like” us on facebook.
- Mileage markers created by students at JL Ilsley High School will be installed late summer 2012.
- TRAIL PROGRESS! HRM has joined DNR in welcoming a detailed proposal for an active recreation trail between Spryfield and Herring Cove; the Department of Health & Wellness has agreed to fund the Trail Concept Plan; proposals for the Concept Plan job are due in 3 weeks. We’re moving forward!
- Feb 2012 – Map of MacIntosh Run Association Community TrailsWe now have a new version of the MRW Community Trail map, and we are ready to install kiosk signs at River Road and Drysdale.
- Signage – By the summer of 2012 the MRWA intends to install kiosk and information stands at various points along the trail.
- Trails – We are hoping to finish Phase II of the McIntosh Run Community Trail late in 2012 (all the way out to the Roach’s Pond ball field). And to begin of active recreation trail in 2013.
- June 2012: Annual River Cleanup with students from JL Ilsley High School
- June 2012: Painting of the Drysdale Road underpass by students from JL Ilsley High School – photos
- June 2012: Students from William King Elementary School released Brook Trout in Long Pond that they had raised from eggs at their school – photos
- 2011 June 04 – Annual McIntosh Run Cleanup organized by students from J.L. Ilsley High School for the community.
- 2011 March 31 – The 1st half of Phase II of the McIntosh Run Community Trail was completed.
- 2010 June 05 – Annual McIntosh Run Cleanup. Organized by students from J.L. Ilsley High School. 50 people made the area clean.
- 2010 May 19 – The AGM. Guest speaker Brian Kinsman gave a presentation on the Long Lake Provincial Park management plan and how it all relates to the McIntosh Run.
- 2010 May 09 – 1st annual Mothers Day Stroll; invitation and photos.
- 2009 Dec 12 – The McIntosh Run Watershed Association held the Grand Opening of the McIntosh Run Community Trail (Phase 1) on 12th December 2009, 1-3pm. Fifty people attended the event despite the storm-force winds and frigid temperature! We met at the north end of River Road in Spryfield, listened to a few short speeches, went for a walk, drank some coffee, ate some cookies and admired the river, the aorta of Spryfield. Phase 1 is about 1.2 km long. This used to be a really rough service-road for the sewer pipeline. Planned trail system and map.
- 2009 Nov – Phase I of the McIntosh Run Community Trail was completed at the end of November.